Wild Honey Bee Cutout – Update 07/17/17


Hive of Honey BeesIt has been a few months since I completed the cutout on the wild hive of honeybees.  After dumping all the bees into their new box I let them sit overnight with the queen caged.  Seven days later I sealed up the hive and transported the bees home.  

I was not planning to leave them for as long as I did. I wanted to make sure the queen mated up the canyon.  I suspected she was a virgin queen because I noticed a lot of fully formed, and emerged, queen cells during the inspection.   

After bringing the bees home, I left them alone for almost a month.  Forcing an entire hive through a vacuum puts a lot of stress on the bees. I didn’t want to over stress them, especially because they only had a small frame of brood and the queen wasn’t laying yet.

Last week was their first real inspection.  Surprisingly, they are doing really well.  Nearly all the bees survived the bee vac. The only problem is the hive is on the brink of swarming.       

The queen is laying in full force, they are drawing lots of comb, and bringing in tons of honey. If I had left them alone for much longer they would have swarmed.  

I am really hoping these bees survive the winter. They seem to have some good genetics that I would like to utilize next year.  I originally wanted to rear some queens from this hive to replace my other queens.  The only problem is I am running out of time.  I don’t want to risk a lot of resources this late in the season.  



Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

wpDiscuz